Thursday, January 12, 2012

Literacy Expectations

       For the literacy aspect of this TE 402 class, I have several expectations for myself as a literacy teacher.  Including one of the course goals, I would like to learn how to incorporate technology effectively into my literacy lessons.  I am a person who is not very comfortable using technology, especially new forms, so learning some ways to incorporate it into my literacy lessons will be beneficial to myself and future students.  I am also looking forward to learning how to incorporate lessons to acknowledge and include every style of Language Arts learner.  The variety of activities that I expect to learn during our class lessons and discussions will help to increase my range of teaching opportunities for my students in my field work now and my students to come.
       As a teacher I hope to teach middle school Social Studies classes.  I enjoy working with the middle school aged students and love history.  Therefore, I would like to learn how to potentially integrate literacy concepts and tactics into my Social Studies lessons.  Through integration of literacy and history, students can receive beneficial ways to strengthen their reading and writing skills through historical content.       
   

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I have very similar expectations for myself in this class. I am not very comfortable using technology and in this day and age children can do anything with it. I want to be able to also find effective ways to teach different learners Language Arts. It already seems that this class will have lots of activities for us to grow as teachers and I am looking forward to learning new strategies throughout this semester.
    As for my future goals ours are WAY opposite. My ideal job would be k-3 and definitely not social studies. I commend you on wanting to teach history especially at the middle school age, it would be extremely challenging for me! Hopefully we both reach our goals this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie and Julia, I have to say I have similiar expectations for myself in the class as well! Technology has become a huge part of children's learning which is why we are all learning about it so much now! I am glad we have the opportunity to learn more about it and I want to learn how to infuse technology with literacy lessons. I have been able to see lots of new technology, as it has been circling around my moms Elementary School! They have actually just all started practicing using ipads in their class--so sweet! I think technology like this in classrooms keeps children interested and fascinated with learning! I am excited to take this class and learn all about Language Arts :) This is my favorite subject so I want to take as much away from this course as possible!
    For my future goals I want to be in either Pre-K or Kindergarten. My Pre-K interest has actually just started through my ZS Endorsement classes. I am able to work with preschoolers and see first hand the way they learn, which is actually quite amazing to me... and so fun! I have to agree with Julia on the social studies aspect. I am not very comfortable with social studies which is probably why I have more of a strong interest and connection with younger children and their learning. Overall I want to learn how to integrate literacy as much as possible in the classroom. I look forward to our class and blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete