Saturday, February 4, 2012

Emergent Literacy

As a digital learner, I would consider myself a digital native.  I have grown up using technology at home and in school, but not to an extreme.  The basic usages of technology, like using the basic internet and word processing functions, are easy for me to use and adapt to.  However, the advanced technology devices and functions are fairly difficult for me to understand and learn how to use.  According to Tompkins, "Children gain an understanding of the communicative purpose of print and develop an interest in reading and writing during the emergent stage."  This directly relates to "emergent" digital literacy because as new and upcoming digital learners, we show an interest in the new technology source and are willing to learn about it.  Like a younger student, kindergarteners for example, are always interested in reading.  In my experience, young children love to get read to and like to attempt to "read" by flipping the pages and following the words on the page with their finger.  As a digital learner, I use these emergent strategies and concepts when using new technologies.  Although I consider myself a digital native, I still have not mastered most technological functions and devices.  Therefore, when I am being introduced to new strategies, I feel like an emergent learner.  I am always willing to learn, but still only "pretend" until I completely understand the technology being taught and all of the aspects connected to the new technology.  "Young students learning to write in their second language have even more to learn about writing" (Gibbons, 2002, 52).  Like new digital learners, ELL students must learn more of a background about English writing when learning how to write.  They must understand all of the basic elements in order to effectively write in the correct English language, which is very relevant to digital learning, especially in my opinion.  If students do not have a full working knowledge of the English language, their writing skills will struggle in various ways.  This concept allowed me to realize that ELL students must learn a deeper "why?" about how the English language works in order to effectively write because their writing may incorporate their own native language if they do not understand the differences.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I used to feel the same way you do with technology. Last year I felt completely lost with technology and how it was increasing in schools. At first I didn’t know if I thought it was a good idea. This was because I took the CEP 416 class and my teacher talked about using cell phones in class and how Elementary classrooms were starting to just be online. I was very upset by this and was not looking forward to technology in the classroom. However, from placement and class discussion I enjoyed the ways we learned about incorporating technology into the classroom. I think digital learning is very beneficial for young children and I have seen it used more this year in my placement. My teacher has a smart board, using the internet to show youtube videos that relate to literacy, digital recordings of stories children listen to etc. Because of all these classes and placement discoveries I feel a lot more comfortable using technology and thinking of ways children can be digital learners in the classroom. I really liked the quote you picked out from the Gibbson reading! I think it defines children and their learning interest and patterns very well. Working in the first grade and also a preschool class I can definitely see children as they are learning in their beginning stages. Therefore this stage is crucial and an important time for them and we as teachers. ELL students face hard experiences when exposed to digital learning. In the Mohr reading it talks about how schools perceive different ELL students, “students need challenge and engagement—the opportunity to participate and the support to make sense and meaning of their academic lives.” (Mohr, 2004). I think to make students feel good about themselves it is important to make every learning feel the same in a classroom (this also ties in with special education students). Teachers need to realize challenging students and including them all as equal learns in their emergent stage is what makes their school experience so education from the inside and out...and this important and deeper "why" I feel is completely important just as you said as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie & Alyssa,
    Your responses and views about technology are very similar to mine. I always say I am "good" with technology but I only know so much. I know how to use the basics but now a days there is so much more to technology so I would said I am also a "digital native". I have grown up using it but I am not addicted to it. I use facebook, word, twitter, email, but I don't know how to do things that require much mental thinking. Technology scares me, it can be very confusing and a lot of the time the only way to get help is by using more technology. Alyssa, I had a very similar experience with my technology thoughts in the classroom as well. When I took the CEP 416 class I was dreading having to use computers for everything and was afraid I wouldn't do well since there would be a lack of person to person contact but my experience changed my outlook on technology as a whole. Like you said, I never would have thought to use cell phones in the classroom and thought it would be crazy to think it could somehow be beneficial, but after doing some research I found it to extremely beneficial for a classroom. I think it just has taken me some time to realize everything is done with some form of technology and there is no avoiding it so I might as well use it.

    With ELL students needing to learn a deeper "why" I completely agree with you. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for an ELL student to not understand the basics of the English Language and trying to use technology that uses such language. I think teachers need to make an extreme effort in providing ELL, and special needs with deeper understandings of language as well as social norms in our society. In my classroom we have an ELL student and I often find him left out of conversation and my teacher does not encourage him to engage in classroom talks, which I think is sad. I agree with what both of you said, and that we as future teachers need to make sure there is an effort put forth to better our students.

    ReplyDelete