Thursday, March 29, 2012

Choosing Words to Study

Tier 1                Tier 2                Tier 3
quitter             memorized         locomotive
kicking              tolerate           street urchins
animal              gratitude
promised

These words come from Bud, Not Buddy chapter 2.  I would focus on the tier 2 words to discuss and teach with my students.  The tier 2 words are the words from the chapter that our students would actually use in their future education and in life.  Words such as "memorized" and "tolerate" are words that students use in their everyday life like memorizing spelling words and tolerating their siblings.  However, especially the second graders in my field placement, would not be able to read or write/spell these words in their schoolwork and homework.  Teaching these words would allow students to understand and connect the words they use in their conversations with each other and then hopefully eventually be able to use them in their writing.     

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I agree with you on your choice of the words you would choose for your students to focus on. Even if students can not write the words it is still important they know what they mean and how they can use them in their conversations. The words you chose are words we use everyday but can also be confusing for younger students so going in depth and explaining them would strengthen their vocabulary. I also think the words quitter and promised are important. Many times teachers talk about how to not be a "quitter" and we should never "quit" and you could talk about with students what it means to quit and why we shouldn't. As for promised I think it is important because it is a common area of discussion; making promises, keeping promises, and I think it is important for students to know that you should not make promises you can't keep. I think you bringing up the fact that they would not be able to write these words and that being ok is extremely important because it does mean that they won't understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your post my attention went toward Tier Two as well. I think these words are extremely important and extend into other learning areas or personal situations. I think the words you picked are a good choice and show different levels of vocabulary. Vocabulary is extremely important and is something very easily overlooked by teachers. Even when reading a simple book such as The Three Pigs there are words that students are unfamiliar with...if a teacher doesn't stop and explain them they missed out on a prime teaching moment for children. Words like the ones you selected are also used through our verbal interactions and therefore again teachers can stop and say "I noticed I used the word ____. This word means _____." *Teaching moments :) Like you both said this can extend and build in their writing experiences in the classroom too! I am interested to pick out words in my book Star Girl.

    ReplyDelete