Monday, April 23, 2012

Katie’s Final Notebook Action Plan:



What are at least three steps you will take in the fall to get to know your students as learners and as people?
1.  The first step I would take in the fall would be to do an icebreaker in conjunction with my MT with the students.  An example would be what we did at the beginning of the semester with the “What would you bring if you were stranded on a desert island?”
2.  I would also introduce myself to the parents and ask for their input on their children.  Either during a fall open house (if they have one) or through a note sent home, I would ask them to describe their child at home and in previous classrooms.
3.  I would then ask the students themselves how best they learn material.  For instance, I may do a questionnaire or survey (for only me and my MT to see), that would give us a sense of who our students are.

What are at least three steps you will take in the fall to learn about your school and its surrounding community?
1.  I will first tour the surrounding community of my school in order to get a sense of the area.
2.  I will also discuss with my MT activities and other things that are important to the school and surrounding community so I can engage in those activities.
3.  Another thing I will do is to attend district events, for instance high school football games and school wide events.  This will help to be seen and known in other ways besides just my individual classroom.

What are at least three steps you will take in the fall to learn about your literacy curriculum?
1.  I think the first and foremost thing will be to ask my MT what system they use for literacy in the school.
2.  With this information, depending on how in depth my MT goes, I will research and request materials that we will be using to familiarize myself with the curriculum. 
3.  I will also use these materials against the common core or GLCE’s for my grade in order to get an idea of importance pertaining to literacy.

If you were writing a letter to introduce yourself to your students' parents and families (which you should all do), what are three things you would want them to know about you as a person and/or a teacher?
1.  I would first want them to know that I am excited to start a new experience and I am looking forward to having this experience with their child.
2.  I would like them to know that I have lots of experience working with and observing all different age students in and out of the classroom.
3.  Then I would also like the parents to know that I am a very determined and organized person and am always available to discuss my teaching and learning with them. 

Once you get to know your students as people and as learners, what are three concrete strategies you will use to differentiate instruction?
1.  Once I know my students, I will help to group the students according to their learning styles and levels.  (Seating arrangements or literacy groups)  
2.  I will then create activities within literacy centers targeted specifically for each level or grouping of students.
3.  I will also create assessments using different strategies, so everyone has a chance to excel and show the most knowledge they can.  (Written, verbal, etc.)

Revisit your work in this class (blogs, logs, New Literacies, etc.) and the topics covered in this class (leading discussions, comprehension, writing, emergent literacy, and so on).  What is the one area that we have talked about this semester that you feel you need to grow in the most?  What are three specific steps you will take to foster that growth? 
Topic:  Comprehension
1.  I will research more specific strategies for teaching comprehension explicitly for elementary students.  This will include book suggestions and strategies for students to use on their own.
2.  I will also discuss these strategies with my MT to get their opinion on them, as well as to listen to their ideas and strategies for teaching comprehension.
3.  I will then plan to teach comprehension lessons with my students in order to gain experience and learn by doing. 

Reflect on your learning in the course.  What are three pieces of knowledge, insights or beliefs that you have gained from this course specifically that you would want to pass on to future TE 402 students?
1.  Don’t choose to use controversial topics and stories simply because they are on controversial issues.  Make sure the issues relate to your class specifically and will help them.    
2.  Literacy can be incorporated into every subject in the classroom.  Keep an open mind!
3.  Using literacy centers can be one of the most beneficial strategies in a students learning if done correctly.


No comments:

Post a Comment